simple things


It's about 2:45 in the afternoon and I am looking out at nineteen faces of eager eighth graders to share about their piece from nature. We're standing in a circle underneath some trees and the birds are slowly chirping around us; a little bee buzzes through the circle, but the eighth graders don't even notice.

"Okay, so who wants to share first?" Six different hands shoot into the air, excited to share about what they found. All of them look around at each others treasures to make sure that no one steals their idea. And soon the sharing begins:

"I chose a rock because I want to be rock solid in my faith this year."
"I chose that tree because I want to climb up to Heaven to be with God."
"I found this flower because I want to bloom in my faith after I get confirmed."
"I have a branch because without being connected to Jesus, I can't grow."
"I have a stick because I don't want to stick to sin."

There were only some of the responses that these eighth graders had when I asked them to go out into nature and find something that they felt described what they wanted to get out of their two day retreat. It was in the simplicity of nature that they found God and were genuine in their answers and responses. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised by these responses. I had no idea what these kids would say when I asked them to go out into the nature around us and find something. I hoped and prayed they would take it seriously and they did - to the extreme. They found simple things around them to explain the beautiful depth of a faith they desired to attain. Their answers were so profound that I am still reflecting on them days later.

At the end of this rotation, I challenged them to remember what their responses were whenever they saw these things in nature again and to hold themselves to what they said in the circle. But this really got me thinking: What would I go find in nature? What would I use to explain what I want to get out of this year at the pines?

Man, that's a hard question. 
It also got me thinking about simplicity; the simplicity of nature and of our faith. God is so present in these moments, in all the little moments when we sometimes don't think about God. He is present when we open our eyes first thing in the morning, or when we stretch our arms and legs as we get out of bed, or in the laughter, or even in that first taste of our coffee in the morning.

God. Is. Always. There.

I am growing to learn that this is going to be a year of simplicity, a year of finding God in the little things and trusting His plan in these little, simple moments. As I slowly sip on my coffee, I feel at peace. And I feel loved - loved by God and by the people around me. The life of a missionary is crazy and wild, but it is beautiful and full of a lot of growth. 

Yet, it is also simple. 

It is in the simplicity that Jesus speaks to our hearts; it is in the simplicity of bread that He comes to us in Mass and it is in this simplicity in bread that we can be with Him in adoration. 

Jesus uses simplicity to speak to us. 
It was in the simple things of the weekend that these kids felt Him.
And it is in the simple things of life that He calls to us.


Comments

Popular Posts