compliments from a stranger



Standing in line, I was staring down at my feet, playing with the carpet and making designs only I could see. As I created little masterpieces, I smiled to myself. My hands reached up to tug my scarf a little more off center, but also to twist around my pointer finger as I continued to wait. Right in front of me there was a mirrored wall. Not just a small face-only mirror, but a full sized can-fit-six-full-people sized mirror. I focused hard on not looking into the mirror. 

Not that I didn't want to see what I looked like. I knew what I was wearing: an oversized green turtle neck, gray plaid blanket scarf, ripped black jeans and some black boots. I knew how I looked and I wasn't ashamed. (Though deep down maybe I was a little self conscious since everyone else seemed to be more formally dressed.) But instead of focusing on the mirror and what other people were wearing, I went back to making designs with my toe in the carpet.

And while I was in my mind, creating swirls on the ground, a voice next to me said: "you're really beautiful." Surprised, I looked over and saw a smiley woman, happiness beaming in her eyes. Her comment was genuine. Unsure of how to take it, I laughed and said thank you. But her comment had me thinking. I was in my head about what I looked like in comparison to others, and she just went up and complimented me in a genuine, real way. She meant it, it wasn't just a passing comment. 

How often do I see people who I think look beautiful, or that I love their hair or shoes, but just walk on past and say nothing. Words are powerful. The positivity they give someone can change their entire day. Those simple three words that stranger spoke to me in line changed my night, and I noticed it. I felt more happiness and authenticity in myself. 

I know that I find it hard to give a genuine compliment to a stranger because I get nervous about what they are going to think or say or do. But every time I tell someone I like their glasses or shoes or dress or smile, there is a new happiness in their eyes. And every time I am sure that it made their day. Little compliments like this can mean so much. As humans, we like to feel noticed, recognized and seen. But sometimes we may not feel that anyone can see us for who we are. Yet there is someone who always sees us, knows us and loves us. He loves us with an unending love like nothing we will ever experience. He looks at us with such great love and delight, even when we might not feel it. This is why I think it is so powerful to compliment others. Because in those moments, we share some of God's love and happiness with others.

I'm not one for new year resolutions (mainly because I forget) but I think the world needs a little more positivity. But also a little more willingness to compliment strangers. Words are a powerful tool and should be used for good. People hear enough negative comments online or at school or at work. Rather than seeing something unique or cool about another person and saying nothing, compliment them. It could be the first time they smile all day and could altar their mood for the better.

Here's to positivity, authenticity, vulnerability, being real and spreading love.

Comments

Popular Posts