alive and well

Waving my hands above my head, I danced to the music pounding through the speakers. Twisting and spinning and jumping. Looking behind me, I saw a crowd of pilgrims with joyful smiles and laughter as they cheered songs from their home countries. Besides me were some new friends who also had huge smiles and danced along with me. In the sea of thousands of people, we pushed our way forwards. The whole time a huge smile on my face as the welcoming ceremony began. Listening to different regions being welcomed as those pilgrims cheered and waved their flags. All the while I went between feeling like a tightly packed sardine and a bird flying freely in the open air. We finally made it to the side barricade after lots of snaking through the crowd. 

And looking out in the crowd, I couldn’t help but smile and laugh. This is the Church. This is present and the future and true, real joy. All the faces around me were so filled with joy and anxiously waiting for the pope. Placing my feet on the bottom of the barricade, I lifted myself a little higher to see the stage. 

And that’s when the pope appeared. The crowd was yelling, clapping, singing, joyful, smiling. The Church was welcoming Peter to speak to us. And he spoke. He called us to encounter each other rather than making small talk, but walking with each other on this journey. And it made me think about my time here so far. I’ve done a lot of walking (like an average of 10 miles a day). Even though I volunteered, I’m still a pilgrim on this journey; I am also called to walk with others as we all strive to be closer to Christ. 

Listening to his reflection on my friend’s radio in a somewhat delayed translation, I watched the crowd. And I couldn’t stop smiling. In this moment, I saw the beauty of the universal church all gathered together to hear truth. I don’t know how to explain it, but it was the most beautiful experience, the most joy filled. As the slight breeze twirled my hair around my face, I thanked God for bringing me here and changing my heart once again.

This is the Church, alive and well and as joyful as ever. Here we are, Lord, let your will be done.

Comments

Popular Posts